When a tooth is damaged by decay, abscess or fracture, a root canal treatment can retain your original tooth and prevent the need for extraction. This treatment can help prevent premature tooth loss and, when combined with a dental crown, it will restore the function and comfort of your teeth and your smile.
DO I NEED A ROOT CANAL?
The most common indicators of a serious problem in your teeth are high sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures and pain or swelling in your gums. However, some patients never experience any obvious symptoms, which is why it’s imperative to have regular check-ups every six months and receive quality dental services in a timely manner.
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, contact us for a full diagnosis:
- Chronic tooth sensitivity to hot or cold liquids.
- Sensitivity while eating sweets.
- Sensitivity to biting.
- Spontaneous toothache, experienced without obvious cause.
- Constant, severe or throbbing toothache.
- Tooth pain in response to atmospheric pressure changes, such as when flying.
- Swelling of the gums.
STEPS INVOLVED IN ROOT CANAL TREATMENT
Many people fear having root canal treatment because it has a reputation for being very painful. Let us reassure you that, compared with decades ago, this procedure is now done with minimal discomfort thanks to advances in technology and quality dental services.
Perhaps the most important benefit of a root canal treatment is that it lets you keep your own teeth. The process consists of:
- An opening is made down into the chamber of the tooth.
- The nerve is removed from the chamber and the root canal is cleaned and prepared for root filling.
- Anti-infection medications may be placed in the chamber and antibiotics may be prescribed to ward off infection.
- On the next visit the canals will be cleaned, and the root canals sealed and filled.
- In some cases, a crown will be required to hold the weakened tooth together.
DON'T ALLOW PROBLEMS TO ESCALTE!
If you're currently in pain or have overly-sensitive teeth, don't wait to contact us in order to set up an appointment to fully diagnose your condition. We will happily communicate with you all the various quality dental services available to save your smile and return your teeth to their former function and comfort levels.
ROOT CANAL VIDEO
If you would like to make an appointment to discuss Root Canal Treatment please call (03) 9999 9703 to schedule an appointment at the Melbourne Dentist Clinic.